.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tatvadnyan

Thoughts on life, as we weave our way through it.

(All Rights Reserved for all content)

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The dilemma

Having plonked down 2000-odd rupees (that's approximately 2000-odd dollars, in six-month's time I guess. Today its 50 dollars) for a pair of ruff-n-tuff woodland shoes I trekked out of the mall when I noticed a beggar with a kid laid out in front of her. By sheer habit I breezed out of her path, fuming at the atrocity of the woman, using her kid to beg. But two steps later i remembered there was a bandage around the kid's head. And my conscience started pricking me. I pulled myself further away, only to make a u-turn to go back to the beggar. Tried asking her what was wrong with the kid (I wasn't ready to just throw money at the problem.) But she couldn't understand me and simply kept on pleading.

Finally, I relented in frustration and gave her 10 rupees. Why not hundred? I dont know. I'd just run 6 Km in a CRY t-shirt. But somethng withing me kept revolting at the idea of giving money and putting the scene past my mind. Even now, I'm not sure what I should've done back then. Should I have called a doctor? In hindsight, maybe. Which doctor? Dont know. It was a Sunday evening. The only possibility was the government hospital. Didn't the woman know that?

I do not know that either. Except, despite having silenced my consience, I still continue to feel guilty somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home