.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tatvadnyan

Thoughts on life, as we weave our way through it.

(All Rights Reserved for all content)

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Whats in a (birth)day ?

In the run-up to my birthday, I was always wondering. Of all the 365 days in a year, whats so special about a birthday after all ? Is it the parties and pastries? Is it the gifts? Or is it a personal milestone? A gauge of experiences acquired?

This year I was in a reclusive mood. So I quietly turned off my birthday reminder on facebook, hoping that a few chosen people very close to me would still wish me nevertheless. And they did.

That's when it dawned upon me. A birthday is a celebration of what you are, what you have become. Its a humble tribute to your parents and friends - for having moulded you into somebody worth remembering. Its a day to become aware of how many people know you, and care about you enough to take the time to wish you on the Day or belatedly afterward. Or feel bad if they forget about it. Even for those with a maverick, lone-wolfy streak like yours truly, its a reminder of how perfectly barren life would be without these people and their goodwill. And its a way to bring people closer after their hectic lives and busy schedules have flung them away from each other.

So whats in a birthday? Definitely much more than just a day or a milestone. Its a 24-hour cocktail of joy & humility, a day of reflecting back and thinking about the paths our lives have trodden together. And I thank all those who called, emailed or SMS'd me for making it possible. For making me possible, over the years.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sandy said...

Why think so much? For me, birthday is a celebration of 'being'. Me being myself. And me enjoying being myself.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home